In April 1912, a group of Baptists living in the vicinity of Wilshire Baptist Church met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leeroy Hooker, (416 North Oxford Avenue) to establish a Baptist Church in this locality.
Soon after, the present property at 301 North Oxford Avenue was purchased. During the construction of the church, services were held in a little hall on Western Avenue until the completion of the church, a few months later. In the early 30s, the present sanctuary and recreation hall were built and the present buildings were altered to become part of the Church's school rooms.
Dr. John Newton Garst was the very first pastor, followed by Dr. Bruce V. Black serving for 31 years. Reverend Merrill O. Brininstool was the next pastor, serving until replaced by Pastor Keith Bauserman, serving for 27 years, until his death in 1998. Pastor Dennis Casaje was sworn in to be the head Pastor in 1999. He served as an associate pastor under Keith Bauserman.
Throughout the years, God has shown His faithfulness and continues to bless us with this growing church. The church has just gone through major renovations, and Wilshire Baptist Church is not only celebrating the past and the present, but is also looking forward in changing lives for Christ, by His grace, in the future.